Ala Secundae Asturum
The Second Wing of Astures
First attested in Britain in ad122 (CILXVI.69), and recorded at Ribchester on an undated altar to the Matres or Mother Goddesses, which is probably of the second century. By 181 they were stationed at Chesters on Hadrian's Wall,
and there they remained, until the end of Roman occupation in Britain.
The appearance of a third century tombstone of a veteran at Lincoln is no evidence that the unit were ever posted there.
Evidence for The Ala in Britain
- Burn 100; CIL XVI.65 military diploma dated: July 17th ad122.
- L' Année Épigraphique 1997.1779a diploma dated c.ad126.
- Bremetenacum (Ribchester, Lancashire; RIB 586; 2nd C. ad)
- Cilurnum (Chesters, Northumberland; RIB 1463 et 1464; c.ad181-4)
- ?Lindum (Lincoln, Lincolnshire; RIB 266; tombstone; 3rd C. ad)
- Cilurnum (Chesters, Northumberland; Notitia Dignitatum xl.38; c. 4th/5th C. ad)