This watch-tower was discovered by Prof. O.G.S. Crawford on 1st June 1937. The central platform is 39 feet in diameter and lies to the immediate south of the road. This watch-tower along with others spaced almost uniformly along the Roman military road into the north-east formed an early Roman frontier along the Gask Ridge in Tayside.
Suspected Temporary Marching Camps
PERTH AND KINROSS … (4) Ardunie (NN 943 186): two overlapping features seen on aerial photographs 0.5 km SW of one of the Gask Ridge watch-towers, and proposed as the defences of small marching-camps, seemed likely on excavation to be field boundary ditches. …” (Britannia, 1999)
References for Ardunie
- Topography of Roman Scotland North of the Antonine Wall by O.G.S. Crawford (Cambridge 1949);
- Britannia xxx (1999) p.328.Topography of Roman Scotland North of the Antonine Wall by O.G.S. Crawford (Cambridge 1949);
Map References for Ardunie
NGRef: NN9418 OSMap: LR58