Marching or Temporary Camps
Arhosfa’r Garreg-lwyd is a rectangular enclosure with rounded corners, the site is a well-preserved Roman temporary camp of the type constructed by armies whilst on campaign. The complete circuit of this camp is known, and the rampart, with a width of around 12ft (3.7m), may still be traced on the ground.
Gateways, both provided with internal clavicula defences, have been recorded in the S and E sides; of the other two gates, no trace has been found. At the northwest corner the earthwork has gon An outwork bank is visble running eastward for about 70m from the northeast corner and attached to the camp’s east side is an annexe. Roughly rectangular, it measures some 100m by 45m and is divided into two unequal compartments. These ‘outworks’ are probably later agricultural features.
This camp lies about 3½ miles SSW of the fortlet and marching camps at Y Pigwn. The camp occupies a discrete hollow, its ramparts running along the enclosing ridges and hillocks. It is defined by a low earthen bank about 2m wide and 0.5m high and measures overall some 500m east to west by 370m; it encloses an area of about 17.8ha.
References for Arhosfa’r Garreg, Dyfed
- Air Reconnaissance in Britain by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xlviii (1958) p.96;
- The Roman Frontier in Wales by V.E. Nash-Williams (Cardiff 1969) p.124 & fig.66;
Map References for Arhosfa’r Garreg, Dyfed
NGRef: SN8026 OSMap: LR160
Roman Roads near Arhosfa’r Garreg, Dyfed