The Barburgh Mill Roman Fortlet is located just to the east of Barburgh Mill between the A76 and the (now dismantled) railway line, this almost square fortlet measured 97 x 93½ feet (c.29.5 x 28.5m) and covered an area of just over 1,000 square yards or about 33¼ roods (c.840m²). Excavations within the defences have uncovered two barrack-blocks, one measuring about 80 x 24½ feet (c.24.5 x 7.4) with a centurions block 30 feet (9.2m) square, the other barrack being approximately 75 x 24½ feet (c.23 x 7.4m). The ditch is V-shaped, about 12 ft. wide and between 4½-6 ft. deep (3.7 x 1.4-1.8 m), the rampart was set on a base of cobbles about 20 ft. (6m) wide. There is a single gateway, about 17 ft. (5.2m) wide, set in the middle of the defences on the NE side.
Map References for Barburgh Mill
References for Barburgh Mill
- Air Reconnaissance of North Britain by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xli (1951) p.59;
- The Roman Occupation of South-Western Scotland by the Glasgow Archaeological Society (1952 p.123);
- Britannia iii (1972) p.304 & fig.3 p.305;
- Britannia v (1974 p.152 table.V), for a comparative study of Roman fortlets in Scotland;
- Roman Forts in Britain by David J. Breeze (Shire 1994 figs.33/34 p.44), for the basis of the VRML model.