Beattock, Bankend Temporary Camp
Marching or Temporary Camps
The three camps at Beattock lie about ¾ mile north of the fort at Milton and the nearby camps at Tassiesholm. There is a small fortlet at Barnhill, which partly overlies the northern defences of Beattock Camp B (see below).
References for Beattock Camps
- Air Reconnaissance of North Britain by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xli (1951) p.58;
- The Roman Occupation of South-Western Scotland by the Glasgow Archaeological Society (1952) p.111;
- Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1955-7 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xlviii (1958) p.89;
- Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1973-76 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. lxvii (1977) p.133;
- Britannia ix (1978) p.418;
- Air Reconnaissance in Roman Britain 1977-1984 by G.S. Maxwell & D.R. Wilson in Britannia xviii (1987) pp.30-32, p.40 & fig.9;
- Britannia xxiii (1992) p.266;
- Britannia xxvi (1995) p.337, fig.6 p.338 & fig.7 p.339.
Map References for Beattock Camps
NGRef: NT0802 OSMap: LR78
Roman Roads near Beattock Camps