… on high ground a mile south of Tweedmouth, two ditches define the east side and rounded east angles of a small Roman fort of which the north-to-south dimension appears to be at least 250ft. A trench dug by Sir Walter Aitchison in 1946 located one of the ditches and some pottery, including a late third-century mortarium. Much of this post has been obliterated by a reservoir.” (JRS, 1951)
References for Tweedmouth / Berwick Upon Tweed
- Journal of Roman Studies xli (1951) p.56.
Map References for Tweedmouth / Berwick Upon Tweed
NGRef: NT9951 OSMap: LR75
Roman Roads near Tweedmouth / Berwick Upon Tweed
Devil’s Causeway: S (27) to Learchild (Learchild, Northumberland)