Boatside Farm Temporary Camp - Clyro

Marching or Temporary Camps

Boatside Farm Temporary Camp – Clyro occupies the summit of a hill overlooking a loop of the River Wye opposite Hay-on-Wye in Powys. The SE corner-angle and attached 800 ft (244m) lengths of the S and E sides were identified on aerial photographs taken in 1966. There is enough flat space on the top of the hill for a camp measuring about 900ft E-W by about 1,200ft N-S. The Clyro fortress lies on the NE slopes of this same hill.

Map References for Clyro

OS National Grid Reference: SO225430
Dimensions: 1,200 x 900 ft (366 x 274 m)
Area: c.24¾ acres (c.10 ha)

References for Clyro

  • Annales by Cornelius Tacitus, translated by J.Jackson (Loeb, Harvard, 1937);
  • Air Reconnaissance of Southern Britain by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xliii (1953) p.86;
  • Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1955-7 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xlviii (1958) p.95;
  • Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1965-1968 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. lix (1969) p.123;
  • Rome Against Caratacus by Graham Webster (Batsford, London, 1993);
  • Roman Camps in England – The Field Archaeology by the R.C.H.M.E.

Roman Roads near Clyro

NE (2.5) to Clifford (Worcestershire) SW (17) to Y Gaer (Brecon Gaer, Powys)