Bochastle Temporary Camp (Callander)
Marching or Temporary Camps
This temporary camp was discovered in 1949 and occupies the land to the south-west of the fort at Bochastle, between the fort and the Eas Gobhain and encloses an area around and including Bochastle farm. The encampment is Flavian in date, as testified by its Stracathro-type entrances.
References for Callander Camp
- Air Reconnaissance of North Britain by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xli (1951) p.64;
- Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1969-72 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. lxiii (1973) p.244;
- Air Reconnaissance in Roman Britain 1977-1984 by G.S. Maxwell and D.R.
- Wilson in Britannia xviii (1987) p.29;
- Britannia xxx (1999) p.328.
Map References for Callander Camp
NGRef: NN6107 OSMap: LR57
OS National Grid Reference: NN6107
Dimensions: 1,740 x 1,200 ft (530 x 365 m)
Area: 47¾ acres (19.4 ha)
Roman Roads near Callander Camp