Camerton Settlement

Minor Settlement

This is the site of a small Romano-British town together with associated Prehistoric and early medieval remains, located in fields north and south of the modern A367.

RIB180 - Fragmentary dedication

...]anus built it in the consulship of ... and Quintianus.
[...]ANVS
[...  ]ONDEDIT
[...] ET QVINTIANO COS
The consulship of Cn. Claudius Severus and L. Ti. Claudius Aurelius Quintianus (A.D. 235) would suit the style of lettering. The consulship of M. Magrius Bassus and L. Ragonius Quintianus (A.D. 289) seems less likely.

Possible Romano-British Temple

CAMERTON : unmethodically dug by J. Skinner in 1814-15 (Fig. 98). Building with several irregular rooms in semi-circular court with frontage of 75 ft. No precise parallel. Part of dedicatory inscription dated (probably) 235 [vide RIB 180 supra], skirt and feet of stone statue, pedestal with feet of four figures, large column capital, stone spearhead, painted plaster, pottery, etc., five coins (British and Vespasian to Constantine). All points to small shrine of unusual type.” (Lewis 1966 p.96)

References for Camerton

  • Chronology of the Ancient World by E.J. Bickerman (Thames & Hudson, London, 1980);
  • Temples in Roman Britain by M.J.T. Lewis (Cambridge 1966);
  • The Roman Inscriptions of Britain by R.G. Collingwood and R.P. Wright (Oxford 1965).

Map References for Camerton

NGRef: ST6856 OSMap: LR172

Roman Roads near Camerton

Fosse Way: NNE (8) to Aqvae Svlis (Bath, Avon) Fosse Way: SSW (8) to Shepton Mallet (Somerset)