Cappuck Temporary Camp

Marching or Temporary Camps

A large Roman temporary camp was discovered on aerial photographs taken in the late-1950’s lying on sloping ground south-west of Dere Street to south of the fort at Cappuck. Only 1,000 ft. of the south-east and 500 ft. of the north-east sides are known, together with the rounded east angle.

OS National Grid Reference: NT698209
Dimensions: 1000+ x 500+ ft (305+ x 152+ m)
Area: >11½ acres (>4.6 ha)

References for Cappuck Temporary Camp

  • Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1951-5 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xlv (1955) p.85;
  • Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1955-7 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xlviii (1958) p.87;
  • Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1958-1960 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. li (1961) p.121;
  • Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1973-76 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. lxvii (1977) p.131.