Cargill Fortlet

Fortlet

Cargill Fortlet /Fortlet was discovered from the air by Flight-Lieutenant E. Bradley in the early 1940’s and confirmed by Prof. St. Joseph in the latter half of the 50’s, this small fort or fortlet overlooks the confluence of the Isla with the Tay. The layout is similar to that at At Cargill (NO 164376), overlooking the point where the Isla flows into the Tay, the small fort discovered by Mr. Eric Bradley has been observed under good conditions, when much of the outline was visible in a crop of oats. There are two ditches, interrupted in the two opposite and longer sides, as if for a gate. They enclose an area about 320′ from north-east to south-west by 230′.” (St. Joseph, 1958) Examination of the NE. and SW. defences of the fortlet at Cargill found an outer ditch 5 ft. wide and 3½ ft. deep, an inner ditch filled with clay, 8½ ft. wide and 4½ ft deep, but no trace of the rampant in its original position. The fortlet measured 276 ft between the ditches. In the interior, Roman levels appeared to have been ploughed away.” (JRS, 1966)

N.G.Ref.: NO164376