Golden Fleece (Carleton) Marching Camp

Marching or Temporary Camps

This small, roughly rectangular camp lies in fields due E from J.42 of the M6 Motorway, S of the B6263 about 3 miles (5km) SE of Luguvalium (Carlisle), just north-east of the fort at Wreay. There are four gates, probably all originally guarded by external tituli although the gateway defences of the W are obscured by a modern field boundary. The W & E gates are off-set to the S; the camp therefore faced SSE. (JRS 1951 p.54; RCHME.)
The marching camp is named after the nearby Golden Fleece House, which also gave its name the the Golden Fleece Service Station.

References for Carleton Camp

  • Air Reconnaissance of North Britain by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xli (1951) pp.52-65;
  • Roman Camps in England – The Field Archaeology by the R.C.H.M.E. (H.M.S.O, London, 1995);

Map References for Carleton Camp

NGRef: NY4451 OSMap: LR85

OS National Grid Reference: NY441517
Dimensions: c.213 x 279 ft (c.65 x 85 m)
Area: 1ΒΌ acres (1.2 ha)

Roman Roads near Carleton Camp

None identified