Castledykes Marching Camp 2

Marching or Temporary Camps

Castledykes Marching Camp 2 was first reported in 1955, this camp lies to the north of the fort. A gateway with tutulus outwork lies in its western side – the only side fully recorded – and a linear earthwork complete with tutulus some 200 ft. in from these western defences indicates at least two phases of occupation.

Map References for Castledykes Marching Camp 2

OS National Grid Reference: NS927446
Dimensions: 850 x c.700 ft (259 x c.213 m)
Area: c.13¾ acres (c.5.5 ha)

References for Castledykes Marching Camp 2

  • Air Reconnaissance of North Britain by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xli (1951) p.57;
  • Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1951-5 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xlv (1955) p.85;
  • Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1955-7 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xlviii (1958) p.89;
  • Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1961-64 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. lv (1965) p.80;
  • Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1973-76 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. lxvii (1977) p.133;
  • Air Reconnaissance in Roman Britain 1977-1984 by G.S. Maxwell & D.R. Wilson in Britannia xviii (1987) p.30 & plate.VIII;
  • Britannia xix (1988) p.429 & fig.10 p.430; Britannia xxi (1990) p.312;
  • Britannia xxiv (1993) p.281.

Roman Roads near Castledykes Marching Camp 2

NW (16) to Bothwellhaugh (Clydesdale)
ESE (18) to Lyne (Borders) via Bankhead
Probable Road: WSW (22) to Loudoun Hill (Clydesdale)