Cawthorn Temporary Camp C
Marching or Temporary Camps
Cawthorn Temporary Camp C are the earthwork remains of a Roman temporary camp of irregular plan and probably dating to the late 1st and early 2nd century AD. It forms part of a group of four earthworks known collectively as ‘Cawthorn Camps’ comprising two forts, one with a later annexe, and a camp. Camp C is of unusual coffin-shaped design; it has three gates, with external clavicula entrances, located on its eastern side.
References for Cawthorn
- Roman Camps in England – The Field Archaeology by the R.C.H.M.E. (pp.137-142);
- The Archaeology of Roman Britain by R.G. Collingwood (Methuen, London, 1930) pp.9-12;
Map References for Cawthorn
NGRef: SE7889 OSMap: LR94/100