Cawthorn Temporary Camp D
Marching or Temporary Camps
Cawthorn Temporary Camp D are earthwork remains of a Roman fort of probable late first and early second century AD date. It is the most westerly earthwork of a complex of two forts, one with a later annexe, and a temporary camp. Recent excavations (1999-2000) have revealed the rampart of Fort D to comprise two phases. The outer defensive ditch, which cuts through the defences of Camp C, is thought to belong with the second phase of rampart of D. The first phase of Fort D is thought to pre-date and possibly overlap with the construction of Camp C.
References for Cawthorn
- Roman Camps in England – The Field Archaeology by the R.C.H.M.E. (pp.137-142);
- The Archaeology of Roman Britain by R.G. Collingwood (Methuen, London, 1930) pp.9-12;
Map References for Cawthorn
NGRef: SE7889 OSMap: LR94/100