Cawthorn A Fort
Cawthorn A Roman fort is likely late 1st and early 2nd century AD date surviving as an earthwork. It forms part of a group of four earthworks known collectively as ‘Cawthorn Camps’ comprising two forts, a camp and an annexe. Fort A was of two main phases, in the second phase it was enlarged by the addition of an annexe (B) to the east (SE 79 SE 65). The defences comprise an outer ditch and a rampart on the top of which there appears to have been a timber palisade. The existing gates have internal and external claviculae, although some of these are very damaged.
References for Cawthorn
- Roman Camps in England – The Field Archaeology by the R.C.H.M.E. (pp.137-142);
- The Archaeology of Roman Britain by R.G. Collingwood (Methuen, London, 1930) pp.9-12;
Map References for Cawthorn
NGRef: SE7889 OSMap: LR94/100