Channelkirk Camp

Marching or Temporary Camps

This camp was described by General Roy in 1755 who traced 1,600 ft. of the west and 1,300 ft. of the north defences, and its north-west side and gateway with titulus outwork were seen from the air in the late 1940’s. Photographs taken in 1953 revealed part of the north defences as a soil-mark, also a gateway and tutulus outwork about 500 ft. east from the north-west corner-angle. A.P.’s in 1957 traced the west rampart for 1,065 ft. and the north for 800 ft. Another gateway and tutulus about 60 ft. wide was also observed in the west side about 65 ft. south of the north-west angle. The entire north-west side of the camp was seen to be 3,500 ft. long on A.P.’s taken in 1960, which also recorded a gateway with tutulus.

References for Channelkirk Camps

  • Air Reconnaissance of North Britain by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xli (1951) p.57;
  • Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1951-5 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xlv (1955) p.85;
  • Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1955-7 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xlviii (1958) p.88;
  • Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1958-1960 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. li (1961) p.121; 
  • Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1969-72 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. lxiii (1973) p.216;
  • Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1973-76 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. lxvii (1977) p.131;
  • Air Reconnaissance in Roman Britain 1977-1984 by G.S. Maxwell & D.R. Wilson in Britannia xviii (1987) p.38.

Map References for Channelkirk Camps

NGRef: NT4854 OSMap: LR66/73

OS National Grid Reference: NT473547
Dimensions: 3,500 x 1,600+ ft (1,067 x 490+ m)
Area: >129 acres (>52 ha)

Roman Roads near Channelkirk Camps

Dere Street: NW (13.5) to Elginhavgh (Lothian) Dere Street: SE (13.5) to Newstead (Newstead, Borders)