Farnley Temporary Camp 3
Marching or Temporary Camps
Three Roman marching camps have been recorded (JRS 1951, p.53; RCHME) lying on a steep scarp above the River Tyne between the river and Dere Street, about 1½ miles (c. 2 km) to the south-east of Corbridge.
Farnley Temporary Camp 3 is the largest of the three, and all of its defensive circuit has been traced apart from the SE corner angle, but its position may be inferred by extrapolating the S and E sides. There is a gap in the W defences, slightly N of centre, which was probably a gate, and another in the N side, off-set to the E (ratio 2:1). Similar structures in the S and E sides are obscured by a field boundary and drain which cuts across the SE corner of the camp. We can be reasonably certain that this camp faced ENE. The remains of an irregular crop-mark outside the NE corner-angle may represent an annexe, of uncertain size, attached to the E side of the camp.
Map References for Farnley Temporary Camp 3
NGRef: NY995631 OSMap: LR87
OS National Grid Reference: NY998631
Dimensions: 335 x 525 ft (102 x 160 m)
Area: 4 acres (1.6 ha)
Roman Roads near Farnley Temporary Camp 3