Goldsborough Signal Station
North Sea Watch Towers
The earthwork remains of a late 4th century AD Roman signal station at Goldsborough. It survives as a square mound 30 meters across and up to 1.4 meters high with rounded corners and a level roughly top. It was excavated in 1918 and fragments of stone wall were found. The Roman signal station is visible as an earthwork on air photographs. An incomplete section of bank defines the surviving extents of the feature, it is sub-square and measures approximately 42 metres by 42 metres. Internally the earthwork remains are very poorly defined.