Hadrian's Wall - Milecastle 20 - Halton Shields
Milecastle 20 (Halton Shields) was one of the – Milecastles on Hadrian’s Wall. It is situated in the hamlet of Halton Shields, and was excavated in 1935. There is no visible trace of the – Milecastle above ground. – Milecastle 20 was excavated in 1935. It was about 17.7 metres by 16.3 metres, with a Type III gateway.
Milecastle 20 is situated at the east end of the hamlet of Halton Shields. Its remains are located in the garden of a cottage, with the south wall and gate being covered by a house to the immediate west.
An antiquarian depiction of the Military Road at the entrance to Halton Shields Farm dated 1879, shows several large blocks which appear to have been the pivot stones from the – Milecastle gateway, together with threshold blocks.