Hadrian's Wall - Milecastle 47 - Chapel House
Milecastle 47 (Chapel House) was a – Milecastle on Hadrian’s Wall. The mile fort stood about 270 m east of the Chapel House in a pasture near the village of Gilsland. There are no visible remains. The area of the fort can only be recognized by a slight elevation in the ground. The fortification fell victim to stone robbery over time. For this purpose, explosives were also used in the 19th century. The mile fort was examined in 1935. According to the findings of the north gate, it belonged to long axis type II (internal dimensions: 22 m from north to south, 18.28 m from east to west).