Hadrian's Wall - Milecastle 54 - Randylands
Milecastle 54 (Randylands) was a – Milecastle on Hadrian’s Wall. The mile fort is located on a mountainside tapering to the west, northwest of the village of Lanercost. The Stanegatekastell Castle Hill was about 1 km south(Boothby). It was built over the ruins of an earlier wood and peat fortification. There are no visible remains. Only a few elevations can be seen, otherwise it can only be seen clearly on aerial photos. 250 meters west of the mile fort (west side of the Burtholme Beck) you can still see the remains of the wall, a 1.7 meter high block of the cast mortar core. The fort was excavated in 1934. Its dimensions (internal) were 19.3 meters from east to west and 23.3 meters from north to south. The gates on the north and south sides belonged to type III. The north wall was shifted slightly to the northeast. From the internal structures, a crew barrack with two chambers could be found on the western wall. In one there were stone benches, a hearth and a millstone.