Hadrian's Wall - Milecastle 73 - Wormanby
Milecastle 73 (Dykesfield) was one of a series of – Milecastles or small fortlets built at intervals of approximately one Roman mile along Hadrian’s Wall.
The mile fort was about 1.6 km west of Burgh-by-Sands, 496 meters west of watchtower 72B. John Horsley reported an unusually large number of stones at the fort site. There are no visible remains. It was located in 1948 and partially excavated. Its internal dimensions were 19.2 meters (from north to south) and 18.7 meters (from east to west). The walls were 2 meters wide. In the course of a geophysical investigation, the outer circumference could also be determined, 24.75 meters (from north to south) and 26 meters (from east to west). It should have belonged to long-axis type III or IV. Inside, there were also traces of a street and three buildings, divided by rooms, on the east and west walls.