Industry and Tile Kiln
The Roman Tilery on Hatherleigh Moor
The probability of there being a Roman site of some significance on Hatherleigh Moor has been suspected since 1943 when pieces of Roman roof-tiles and Medieval pottery were uncovered, along with evidence of a 'wattle and daub' building which could not be closely dated. The discoverers recorded the site as that of a 'possible Roman villa' and lodged all of their finds with Exeter Museum. (AHDS)
However, further investigations conducted in 2003 uncovered a Roman tile (or brick) kiln in the same area. Since tileries are not often associated with Romano-British villas and the location of the site does not lend itself to promote the continued existence of a villa farm, the site has since been reclassified as a Roman Tile Works. It has been noted that fragments of tile recovered from the Roman forts at North Tawton, Bury Barton and Okehampton (possibly among others), all appear to have originated at the Hatherleigh Moor tilery. (DAS)
It seems likely, given the location of the Hatherleigh site, that the tiles manufactured here were distributed along the local river network provided by the Okement to the east and south and the Lew which passes through Hatherleigh on the west, both of which streams join-up with the Torridge to the north, near Meeth and Hele Bridge respectively. (OS)
Once again, thanks are due to Martin Bodman for information regarding this Roman site.
Map References for Hatherleigh Moor
NGRef: SS55650335 OSMap: LR191?
Roman Roads near Hatherleigh Moor