… an iron-working settlement of 1.6 ha. [4 acres] has been identified in a field called ‘Blacklands’ on Great Cansiron Farm, 1.6 km. [1 mile] west of the London-Lewes Roman road, which is here surfaced with iron slag.” (Britannia 1971)
Nine Roman Iron-Mines Within 12 Miles of the Holtye Settlement
Dr Henry Clere in 1976 estimated the production of Roman military ironwork from the area of the Weald at 550 tons per year. Armed with this information, Dr Oliver Rackham, an acknowledged authority on the historical countryside, estimated that the entire output of a 23,000 acre (c.9,300 Ha) coppice-wood would be required in order to sustain the industry.
References for Holtye
- Historical Map and Guide – Roman Britain by the Ordnance Survey (3rd, 4th & 5th eds., 1956, 1994 & 2001);
- Trees & Woodland in the British Landscape by Oliver Rackham (Phoenix, London, 1990) pp.40/1;
- Britannia ii (1971) p.286.
Map References for Holtye
NGRef: TQ448382 OSMap: LR187