Innerleithen Temporary Camp
Marching or Temporary Camps
Innerleithen Temporary Camp, located on the north bank of the Tweed was discovered from the air in the late 1940’s. A.P.’s showed the north-west angle and attached, a 270 feet length of the north side, and 840 feet of the west with a gateway about 650 feet west of the angle. The camp lies on the north bank of the River Tweed on the line of a suspected road between the military complex at Newstead and the fort/settlement at Lyne/Easter Happrew; the camp at Eshiels also lies along the suspected road line to the north-west.
References for Innerleithen Camp
- Air Reconnaissance of North Britain by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xli (1951) p.57;
- Britannia xxxiv (2003) p.305.Air Reconnaissance of North Britain by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xli (1951) p.57;
- Britannia xxxiv (2003) p.305.
Map References for Innerleithen Camp
NGRef: NT3236 OSMap: LR73
OS National Grid Reference: NT3236
Dimensions: 840+ x 270+ ft (256+ x 82+ m)
Area: >5¼ acres (2.1 ha)
Roman Roads near Innerleithen Camp