Innerpeffray West Temporary Camp
Marching or Temporary Camps
The two camps lie on gently sloping ground above the River Earn, across from the fort and camps at Strageath. The presumed Gask Roman road runs to the north of the east camp, where it is accompanied by a watchtower (Parkneuk), and cuts through the northern corner of the west camp.
The two camps at Innerpeffray were recorded from the air by St Joseph in 1945, but may have been noted earlier by Horsley, who drew a large earthwork entitled ‘Innerpeffray camp’ with a smaller camp attached to its west side. These may well have represented the remains of the two camps now known as Innerpeffray East and West, and both now recorded through cropmarks.
Innerpeffray West lies immediately to the west and is also slightly irregular in form, measuring about 660m from WSW to ENE by 400m, enclosing about 25.5ha (63 acres). Entrance gaps with tituli are visible on the eastern part of the SSE and NNW sides. An annexe is visible on the east side of the camp, almost intersecting with Innerpeffray East; this measures at least 92m by 125m and encloses a minimum area of 1.14ha (2.8 acres).
References for Innerpeffray Camps
- Air Reconnaissance of North Britain by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xli (1951) p.63;
- Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1951-5 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xlv (1955) p.87;
- Roman Britain in 1956 in J.R.S. xlvii (1957) p.200;
- Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1955-7 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xlviii (1958) p.90;
- Air Reconnaissance of Roman Scotland 1939-75 by J.K. St. Joseph in G.A.J. iv (1976).
Map References for Innerpeffray Camps
NGRef: NN9118 OSMap: LR58
Roman Roads near Innerpeffray Camps