Inveravon Temporary Camp 1
Marching or Temporary Camps
Inveravon Camp 1 is large camp is aligned north-south with gateways in the centre of the long, east and west sides, the latter protected by an external tutulus. The east ditch, trenched in 1983, was found to be 3¼ ft. wide and 1¾ ft. deep (1 x 0.55 m) with a flat bottom. The smaller Camp #2 lies across the southern part of this camp.
References for Inveravon Camps
- The Roman Wall in Scotland by Sir George MacDonald (Oxford, 2nd Ed. 1934) pp.192-4;
- Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1955-7 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xlviii (1958) p.89;
- Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1958-1960 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. li (1961) p.122;
- Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1961-64 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. lv (1965) p.80;
- Britannia xv (1984) p.276; Britannia xxvii (1996) p.398.
Map References for Inveravon Camps
NGRef: NS9679 OSMap: LR65
Roman Roads near Inveravon Camps