Inveravon lies on the east bank of the River Avon and was thought for many years to have been the site of the third garrison station of the Antonine Wall. No traces of the fort are visible on the ground and its interpretation remains uncertain. Three temporary camps have also been identified to the south of the Antonine Wall in this area, but there are no visible traces on the ground today.
This evidence from Inveravon appears to convincingly indicate the presence of a fort, but it remains unclear if the features uncovered here were located within a fort or, perhaps,a fort annexe. Based on the excavations that
have occurred in the area, and the location of the features that have been uncovered, it is likely that a fort here would have been very small and probably placed here primarily for the purposes of guarding the river crossing.
Unfortunately, geophysical survey in 2008 has not been able to clarify the situation of the fort.
References for Inveravon Fort
- The Roman Wall in Scotland by Sir George MacDonald (Oxford, 2nd Ed. 1934) pp.192-4;
- Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1955-7 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xlviii (1958) p.89;
- Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1958-1960 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. li (1961) p.122;
- Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1961-64 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. lv (1965) p.80;
- Britannia xv (1984) p.276; Britannia xxvii (1996) p.398.
Map References for Inveravon Camps
NGRef: NS9679 OSMap: LR65
Roman Roads near Inveravon Camps