Kinglass Park Marching Camp

Marching or Temporary Camps

Kinglass Park Marching Camp is also known as the Bo’Ness Marching Camp.  The south-west corner-angle and about 450 ft. of the adjacent south side of this camp was discovered on A.P.’s taken in the late-1940’s by Dr. J.K. St. Joseph. The remaining outline of the defensive ditch was recorded by probing and reported in 1955.

This camp lies roughly mid-way between the fort and settlement at Carriden to the east and the Antonine fortlet at Kinneil to the west, the eastern terminus of the Antonine Wall lies just to the north, and the marching camp at Muirhouses lies about ½ mile to the south-east.

References for Kinglass Park Camp

  • Air Reconnaissance of North Britain by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xli (1951) p.62;
  • Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1951-5 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xlv (1955) p.86;
  • Britannia xxx (1999) p.329.Air Reconnaissance of North Britain by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xli (1951) p.62;
  • Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1951-5 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xlv (1955) p.86; Britannia xxx (1999) p.329.

Map References for Kinglass Park Camp

NGRef: NT0080 OSMap: LR65

OS National Grid Reference: NT003811
Dimensions: c.500 x 500 ft (c.152 x 152 m)
Area: c.5¾ acres (c.2.3 ha)

Roman Roads near Kinglass Park Camp

None identified