Kintore Temporary Camp 2

Marching or Temporary Camps

Kintore Temporary Camp 2 was  discovered from the air in 1976 and investigated on the ground the same year, lies only ¾-mile north of the larger Camp #1. The ditch is V-shaped, 4 ft. wide and a maximum of 2½ ft. deep (1.2 x 0.76 m). The lie of the ground in the locality limits the area available for occupation to around 30 acres.

Map References for Kintore Camps

OS National Grid Reference: NJ784175
Dimensions: 1,000+ x 1,300? ft (c.300 x 400? m)
Area: c.30 acres? (c.12 ha?)

References for Kintore Camps

  • Topography of Roman Scotland North of the Antonine Wall by O.G.S. Crawford (Cambridge 1949) pp.112-5 & fig.30;
  • Air Reconnaissance of North Britain by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xli (1951) p.65;
  • Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1973-76 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. lxvii (1977) p.140;
  • Britannia ix (1978) p.277; D.E.S. 1984 p.12;
  • Britannia xix (1988) p.425;
  • Britannia xxviii (1997) p.405;
  • Britannia xxix (1998) p.376; D.E.S. 2000 p.10;
  • Britannia xxxiii (2002) p.285;
  • Britannia xxxiv (2003) p.301.

Roman Roads near Kintore Camps

None identified