Deer's Den, Kintore Temporary Camp 1

Marching or Temporary Camps

Deer’s Den, Kintore Temporary Camp 1was identified in 1867/8 by Captain E.H. Courtney, at which time the rampart measured about 18 ft. across and in places stood 6 or 8 ft. high. The camp is known from two opposing corner-angles with attached lengths of the adjacent sides. The NE angle subtends about 93°, to which is attached 1,000 ft. of the E side and 1,650 ft. of the N side. The Opposing SW corner-angle is likewise, slightly obtuse, subtending 94°, with about 800 ft. of the attached S side and about 1,600 ft of the W. The camp measures about 2,000 ft. E-W, by about ¼ mile N-S. The ditch varies both in overall dimensions and in form; U-shaped and only around 8¾ ft wide by 2½ ft deep (c.2.7 x 0.75 m) at the NE angle but around 10½ ft wide by 4½ ft deep (3.2 x 1.4 m), and with a V-profile elsewhere. It is similar in size to others at Raedykes, Normandykes, Ythan Wells and Muiryfold.

Map References for Kintore Camps

OS National Grid Reference: NJ787158
Dimensions: c.2,400 x c.2,000 ft (c.732 x c.610 m)
Area: c.110 acres (c.44.5 ha)

References for Kintore Camps

  • Topography of Roman Scotland North of the Antonine Wall by O.G.S. Crawford (Cambridge 1949) pp.112-5 & fig.30;
  • Air Reconnaissance of North Britain by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xli (1951) p.65;
  • Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1973-76 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. lxvii (1977) p.140;
  • Britannia ix (1978) p.277; D.E.S. 1984 p.12;
  • Britannia xix (1988) p.425;
  • Britannia xxviii (1997) p.405;
  • Britannia xxix (1998) p.376; D.E.S. 2000 p.10;
  • Britannia xxxiii (2002) p.285;
  • Britannia xxxiv (2003) p.301.

Roman Roads near Kintore Camps

None identified