Kirkhill Signal Station
This watch-tower lies to the immediate south of the Roman military road in a wooded area. Excavated in 1909, the central platform was found to be 46 feet (c.14m) in diameter surrounded by a ditch with an external bank. This watch-tower along with others spaced almost uniformly along the Roman military road into the north-east formed an early Roman frontier along the Gask Ridge in Tayside.
References for Kirkhill
- Topography of Roman Scotland North of the Antonine Wall by O.G.S. Crawford (Cambridge, 1949).
Map References for Kirkhill
NGRef: NN9618 OSMap: LR58