Lyne Temporary Camp 1

Marching or Temporary Camps

Discovered from the air during the late-1940’s, this large camp lies about ¾ miles east of the fort. About 1,000 feet of the north defences, including a gateway, the north-east angle and thus, the entire east side was recorded by 1955. By 1961 the north-west angle and attached 500 ft. lengths of the north and west sides had been located, enabling the entire defensive circuit to be extrapolated. The east and west gateways were seen on A.P.’s in the early 1960’s and established that there were only 4 gates in all.

References for Lyne Camps

  • Air Reconnaissance of North Britain by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xli (1951) p.57;
  • Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1951-5 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xlv (1956) p.85;
  • Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1958-1960 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. li (1961) p.121;
  • Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1961-64 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. lv (1965) p.79;
  • Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1969-72 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. lxiii (1973) pp.216/7;
  • Britannia ix (1978) p.418.

Map References for Lyne Camps

NGRef: NT1840 OSMap: LR72

OS National Grid Reference: NT203408
Dimensions: 1,670 x 1,225 ft (509 x 373 m)
Area: 47 acres (19 ha)

Roman Roads near Lyne Camps

None identified