Millside Wood Temporary Camp

Marching or Temporary Camps

This site is either two adjacent camps or one camp with an annex.  Roman Brittain refers to them as Ulston Moor 2,and 3.

First site discovered by professor St. Joseph in 1972, this large camp lies about ½-mile north-west of the Cappuck fort close to Camp #1, but on the north side of Dere Street.

This second small camp was discovered adjacent to the other camp, from the air by J.K. St. Joseph and was first reported in 1977. It lies within the camp discovered in 1972 and is oriented south-east to north-west.

References for Millside Wood Temporary Camp

  • Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1951-5 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xlv (1955) p.85;
  • Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1955-7 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xlviii (1958) p.87;
  • Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1958-1960 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. li (1961) p.121;
  • Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1973-76 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. lxvii (1977) p.131.

Map References for Millside Wood Temporary Camp

NGRef: NT6921 OSMap: LR74

Previously Referred to as: Ulston Moor Camp 2 & 3

Ulston Moor 2, (Cappuck Camp 3)

OS National Grid Reference: NT691222
Dimensions: c.1,650 x 1,250 ft (c.503 x 381 m)
Area: c.47¼ acres (c.19.2 ha)

Ulston Moor 3, (Cappuck Camp 4)

OS National Grid Reference: NT6922
Dimensions: c.500 x 450 ft (c.152 x 137 m)
Area: c.5¼ acres (c.2 ha)

Roman Roads near UMillside Wood Temporary Camp

None identified