Muiryfold Temporary Camp

Marching or Temporary Camps

Discovered by Prof. St. Joseph in 1959 and included by him among the “120-acre” series, this camp lies on the south-eastern facing slope of Gallow Hill which affords good views along the valleys of the Isla and the Deveron.

There are similarly sized camps at Raedykes, Normandykes, Ythan Wells and Kintore.

Map References for Muiryfold Camp

OS National Grid Reference: NJ489521
Dimensions: 2,600 x 1,825? ft (792 x 556? m)
Area: c.109 acres (c.44.1 ha)

References for Muiryfold Camp

  • Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1958-1960 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. li (1961) p.123;
  • Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1961-64 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. lv (1965) pp.83/4;
  • Britannia ix (1978) p.277.Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1958-1960 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. li (1961) p.123;
  • Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1961-64 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. lv (1965) pp.83/4; Britannia ix (1978) p.277. 

Roman Roads near Muiryfold Camp

None identified