Newstead Temporary Camp 4
Marching or Temporary Camps
Newstead Temporary Camp 4 lies to the south of the fort, and measures 409m from ENE to WSW by 378m transversely, enclosing 15.5ha (38 acres). A titulus is visible on the ENE side, south of the centre, with possible entrance gaps in the other sides. The eastern sector of the camp is bisected by a linear cropmark representing the east side of camp V, although the relationship between the two is unknown.
References for Newstead Camp 4
- Air Reconnaissance of North Britain by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xli (1951) p.57;
- The Roman Occupation of South-Western Scotland by the Glasgow Archaeol. Soc., ed. S.N. Miller (1952) p.206;
- Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1955-7 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xlviii (1958) pp.87/8;
- Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1958-1960 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. li (1961) p.121;
- Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1969-72 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. lxiii (1973) p.216;
- Britannia xxi (1990) p.313 & fig.7 p.314; Britannia xxv (1994) p.261;
- Britannia xxvii (1996) pp.403/5 & fig.8;
- Britannia xxxiv (2003) pp.305/6.
- Roman Camps in Scotland. Edinburgh. Page(s): 282-4 RCAHMS Shelf Number: E.10.1.JON by Jones, R H. (2011)
Roman Roads near Newstead Camp 4
None identifiedNewstead Temporary Camp