North Stainmore Signal Station
This suspected Roman signal-station lies on the line of the Roman road (Margary #82) through the upper Eden Valley in Westmorland (Cumbria), just south of the village of North Stainmore. The suspect site, like other such stations in the same scheme further west at Appleby in Westmorland and Castrigg, is of the ‘Gask Ridge’ type, with a signal platform surrounded by a circular defensive ditch; there is a gap in these defences to the south, which implies that the Roman road through the area lay in this direction, taking a much steeper path than the modern A66(T).
References for North Stainmore
- Roman Roads in Britain : Volume II North of the Foss Way – Bristol Channel by Ivan D. Margary (London 1957);
- Air Reconnaissance of North Britain by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xli (1951) pp.52-65;
Map References for North Stainmore
NGRef: NY8314 OSMap: LR91