Nowtler Hill 2 Temporary Camp (Grinsdale)
Marching or Temporary Camps
One of two camps were first identified by Daniel Lysons in 1800, and are visible nowadays only as crop-marks in fields to the south-west of Grinsdale, near Kockupworth. Lysons reported that all four gateways of both camps were protected by external tituli, most of which are still visible in modern AP’s.
This small rectangular camp occupies the SW slopes of Nowtler Hill about (300m) from Camp-1. There are four gates, those in the E & W sides places centrally and those in the N & S displaced towards the E, the camp therfore faced ESE. The gates are known to have been protected by external tituli on all sides save the E where details have been destroyed by a modern field-boundary.
Map References for Grinsdale Camps
References for Grinsdale Camps
Roman Camps in England – The Field Archaeology by the R.C.H.M.E.