Oxton Camp 2, Channelkirk

Marching or Temporary Camps

This camp lies within the northern corner of Oxton Camp 1, re-using part of the larger camp’s NE and NW sides.

References for Channelkirk Camps

  • Air Reconnaissance of North Britain by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xli (1951) p.57;
  • Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1951-5 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xlv (1955) p.85;
  • Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1955-7 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xlviii (1958) p.88;
  • Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1958-1960 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. li (1961) p.121; 
  • Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1969-72 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. lxiii (1973) p.216;
  • Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1973-76 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. lxvii (1977) p.131;
  • Air Reconnaissance in Roman Britain 1977-1984 by G.S. Maxwell & D.R. Wilson in Britannia xviii (1987) p.38.

Map References for Channelkirk Camps

NGRef: NT4854 OSMap: LR66/73

OS National Grid Reference: NT487547
Dimensions: c.467 x 385 ft (c.142 x 117 m)
Area: c.4¼ acres (c.1.7 ha)

Roman Roads near Channelkirk Camps

Dere Street: NW (13.5) to Elginhavgh (Lothian) Dere Street: SE (13.5) to Newstead (Newstead, Borders)