Copper Mine and Mine
Evidence of Roman Copper Mining in Anglesey – Two copper cakes were reported in 1871 from Aberffraw Parish and are now preserved in Mostyn Hall, one of which was stamped SOCIO ROMAE • NATSOL and weighed 42 lbs (19kg). Two others were recovered from the Parys Mine in Amlwych and now reside in the British Museum, one plain, the other stamped IVFS. Another three were recovered near the ancient copper-workings at Bryn-du in Llanbadrig, two of which bore the stamp IVL.S within a circular die.
References for Parys Mountain
- An Inventory of the Ancient Monuments in Anglesey (R.C.A.H.M.W.M. 1937) Appendix IV, p.lxxxvii
Map References for Parys Mountain
NGRef: SH4490 OSMap: LR114
Roman Roads near Parys Mountain