Ravenscar Signal Station
RIB721 - Inscription
M CASTRVM FECIT
A sandstone slab was found in 1774 alongside the minor road from Scarborough to Robin Hood’s Bay, about 9 miles north of Scarborough, while digging foundations for the Raven Hall Hotel at Ravenscar. This stone represents concrete evidence of a small Roman “fortification with [watch] tower” on the cliff-top here. The stone now resides in the Yorkshire Museum, York.
References for Ravenscar
- The Roman Inscriptions of Britain by R.G. Collingwood and R.P. Wright (Oxford 1965);
- Roman Britain by Peter Salway (London 1981) p.384 fn.
Map References for Ravenscar
NGRef: NZ9801 OSMap: LR94