Staincross Common

Temple Or Shrine

In 1782 a Roman altarstone was discovered on Staincross Common, 2 miles north of Barnsley on the north bank of the River Dearne. The stone, now lost, may represent the remains of a rural shrine. The nearest known Roman sites are the forts at Burghwallis and Castleford, which lie about 10 miles to east-north-east and to north-north-east respectively, also the fort and settlement at Templeborough which lies a similar distance to the south-south-east.

RIB622 - Altar dedicated to Mars

DEO MAR[...]
PRO SALV[...]
DD NN
IMP AVG [...]
To the god Mars for the welfare of our Lords, the August Emperors, ..
No commentary.

References for Staincross Common

The Roman Inscriptions of Britain by R.G. Collingwood and R.P. Wright (Oxford 1965). The Roman Inscriptions of Britain by R.G. Collingwood and R.P. Wright (Oxford 1965). The Roman Inscriptions of Britain by R.G. Collingwood and R.P. Wright (Oxford 1965). The Roman Inscriptions of Britain by R.G. Collingwood and R.P. Wright (Oxford 1965).

Map References for Staincross Common

NGRef: SE3209 OSMap: LR111

Roman Roads near Staincross Common

None identified