Stracathro Temporary camp
Marching or Temporary Camps
At Stracathro (NO 614655), Angus, a temporary camp approximately 800 ft. square was identified in 1955. There are four gates, each with distinctive external features (clavicula and straight ditch), similar in plan to those at Dalginross, which this camp closely resembles. It evidently marks the halting-place of a force of legionary strength.” (St. Joseph, 1955)
This large temporary marching camp lies just to the west of the fort at Stracathro (NO6165). It is thought to be attributable to the campaigns of Agricola sometime during 82/83AD. Its distinctive protruding gateways have been recognised as the definitive examples for this type of camp, it being the first to be recognised. There are other “Stracathro”-type camps at Dalswinton, Castledykes, Menteith, Dalginross, Ythan Wells, Auchinhove and Inverquharity.
References for Stracathro Camp
- Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1951-5 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xlv (1955) p.87;
- Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1955-7 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xlviii (1958) pp.91/2 & fig.7;
- Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1958-1960 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. li (1961) p.123.
Map References for Stracathro Camp
NGRef: NO618658 OSMap: LR45
Roman Roads near Stracathro Camp