Milton (Tassiesholm) Temporary Camp

Marching or Temporary Camps

This camp lies about 500 feet S of the Antonine fortlet. Its entire W side, 425 ft. long, and lengths of the N and S defences including attached W corner-angles were identified on aerial photographs taken in the late-1940’s. Crop-mark evidence of the E side, 425 ft. long, was obtained from A.P.’s taken in the early-1950’s. Each visible side is possessed of a gateway with titulus outwork. The E-W dimension of the camp is around 550 ft.

Aside from the nearby fort at Milton, there are more camps about ¾ mile to the north, situated on the east side of the road at Beattock.

References for Tassiesholm

  • Air Reconnaissance of North Britain by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xli (1951) p.58;
  • Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1951-5 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xlv (1955) p.85.

Map References for Tassiesholm

NGRef: NT0901 OSMap: LR78

OS National Grid Reference: NT0901
Dimensions: c.550 x 425 ft (c.168 x 130 m)
Area: c.5½ acres (c.2.2 ha)

Roman Roads near Tassiesholm

S (8) to Hangingshaw (Dumfries & Galloway) NW (12) to Little Clyde NNW (10) to Redshaw Bvrn