The settlement lies to the north-east of where the Calleva (Silchester) to Corinium (Cirencester) road crosses the River Kennet, extending to either side of the road for at least 762 metres.
Samian and coarse-ware sherds found at the site range in date from the late first or early second century through to the late third or fourth centuries. The earliest coins recovered were those of Domitian, whilst the latest were of Honorius.
A number of artefacts were recovered from a well during excavations at the site. These included a hoard of six pewter vessels, a coin of constans and pottery sherds dating from the late third or fourth century.
A pottery kiln has been discovered five miles to the west at Hamstead Marshall (SU4166), and there are villas to the north-east four miles away at at Hampstead Norris (SU5272) and six miles away at Eling (SU5375), and substantial Roman buildings have been found nearby at Newbury (SU4666) and also at Boxford (SU4471).
References for Thatcham
- Historical Map and Guide – Roman Britain by the Ordnance Survey (3rd, 4th & 5th eds., 1956, 1994 & 2001);
- Roadside Settlements in Lowland Roman Britain by Roger Finch Smith (B.A.R. British Series #157, 1987) p.244.
Map References for Thatcham
NGRef: SU5067 OSMap: LR174