Marching or Temporary Camps
Discovered by the great antiquarian Roy in 1769 on heathland NW of Fairholm, parts of this camp have been incorporated into field boundaries. The Roman defences are best observed at the NW angle where the rampart survives as a mound 14 feet across. The two titulus outworks noted by Roy on the W now lie in a plantation; they were clearly visible in the 1950’s. The north side of the camp was clearly visible for the first time from the air as crop-marks during the early-1960’s, when it was discerned that there was a slight change of alignment at a centrally-placed gateway on this side.
References for Torwood Camp
- Air Reconnaissance of North Britain by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xli (1951) p.58;
- The Roman Occupation of South-Western Scotland by the Glasgow Archaeological Society (1952) p.101;
- Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1961-64 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. lv (1965) p.79.
Map References for Torwood Camp
NGRef: NY1281 OSMap: LR78
OS National Grid Reference: NY120818
Dimensions: c.1,550 x 1,000 ft (472 x 305 m)
Area: 35½ acres (14.7 ha)
Roman Roads near Torwood Camp