Ulston Moor Camp

Marching or Temporary Camps

This large camp lies about ½ mile NW of Cappuck on Ulston Moor. It was discovered by J.K. St. Joseph on air photographs taken in 1955 and its entire perimeter established on further A.P.’s by 1957. The camp is aligned SW-NE. A.P.’s taken in the late-1950’s revealed the north gateway, also a cross-ditch with a central gate some 230 ft. from the west side which is indicative of at least two occupation periods.

References for Ulston Moor Camps

  • Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1951-5 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xlv (1955) p.85;
  • Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1955-7 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xlviii (1958) p.87;
  • Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1958-1960 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. li (1961) p.121;
  • Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1973-76 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. lxvii (1977) p.131.

Map References for Ulston Moor Camps

NGRef: NT6921 OSMap: LR74

OS National Grid Reference: NT687217
Dimensions: 1,125 x 750 ft (343 x 229 m)
Area: 19¼ acres (7.8 ha)

Roman Roads near Ulston Moor Camps

None identified