Walford Camp

Marching or Temporary Camps

Walford Camp lies on a naturally formed scarp overlooking the confluence of the Walford and Stonybridge Streams just to the south-east of Walford Motte. The north-west and south-west defences of the camp closely follows the edge of the scarp which formed a right-angle and was thus ideally suited to house a Roman encampment. The camp is sub-rectangular with rounded corners, and almost all of its perimeter has been traced, all but the north-west corner-angle which has been obliterated by quarrying. The modern B5430 road bisects the camp along its long axis, masking any details of a gateway in the south-east defences but veering east of the mid-point in the north-west defences, where we are duly rewarded with a gap in the defencive ditch which probably constitutes the northern gateway. Other gateway gaps are noted in the north-east and south-west sides, displaced towards the north-west by a ratio of 1:2, this indicates that the camp was oriented towards the north-west.

Map References for Walford Camp

OS National Grid Reference: SO394722
Dimensions: c.1,280 x 820 ft (c.390 x 250 m)
Area: c.24 acres (c.9.75 ha)

References for Walford Camp

  • Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1958-1960 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. li (1961) pp.124/5 & fig.4;
  • Roman Camps in England – The Field Archaeology by the R.C.H.M.E.;

Roman Roads near Walford Camp

None identified