Wandel Marching Camp
Marching or Temporary Camps
Identified from the air by Prof. J.K. St Joseph in the late 1950’s, when the south-east corner-angle and attached lengths of the adjacent sides were identified. The eastern defences were sectioned in 1970, these revealed a gravel rampart over 7¼ ft. wide and still standing 1½ ft. high (2.25 x 0.45 m) fronted by a V-shaped ditch about 11 ft. wide and 5 ft. deep (3.35 x 1.5 m). Further aerial observation in 1984 revealed that the camp totally enclosed the Antonine fortlet and was overlain by the Roman road, which places its construction prior to both these features, probably during the Flavian period. Parts of the east and south sides of this camp are still visible on the ground.
Map References for Wandel
OS National Grid Reference: NS944265
Dimensions: c.1,380 x 1,150 ft (c.420 x 350 m)
Area: c.36½ acres (c.14.7 ha)
References for Wandel
- Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1958-1960 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. li (1961) p.122;
- Britannia ii (1971) p.249; Britannia v (1974) p.152 table.V;
- Air Reconnaissance in Roman Britain 1977-1984 by G.S. Maxwell & D.R.
- Wilson in Britannia xviii (1987) p.34.